Wednesday, May 23, 2018

A Partial Eclipse

Eclipse has been kind of a fun piece to work on from the very beginning.  The balance between textured relief elements, obnoxious colors, and quirky imagery has held my interest.  Here is a shot when it just had the first layer of line work completed.


Followed by some colors...


...and a little more line work.


Visually it (the first layer) was doing what I needed it to do.


Unfortunately, it was just the first layer which made it not dense enough visually to earn a gold star seal of approval from me.  More needed to be done to it...like haze it over and then jam a bunch more stuff on it.  When in doubt, add more ingredients.




Now it's all been hazed over and it's time to put on another layer of imagery.







After the line work dries, I start to add some color.





There is still some painting to be done on this, but the overwhelming majority is done.  However, it is that last little bit that can make a huge difference.


I basically just want to enhance the interaction between the warm tones of the yellow disk against the coolness of the blue band along the bottom.  My first step is to add a robusto blue to the bottom.  Booooom!


Then I mess around with the warm tones/yellows.


Paint a few relief elements so that they begin to interact more fully with everything else going on throughout the piece.  Before being painted, they were subdued, if not borderline wimpy.




Now I would say it is done.


Next time we'll check in with the Tasaday...

Monday, May 21, 2018

Yeeee-HA!

While riffing with several different ideas while I was working on Quest(Shun), I tested out how this large cowboy head looked/interacted with the rest of the piece.  Bottom line:  I liked the shape, but proportionately the cowboy head was too large compared to everything else.  I liked how it looked enough though, that I made a smaller one.  While staring at the smaller cowboy head/silhouette, I was reminded of a metal helmet for a conquistador.  You can read more about that evolution of Quest(Shun) by clicking HERE.

That still leaves me with a decapitated cowboy (conquistador?) head to mess around with.  I've already started to play around with ideas regarding the frame, now I need to dive into the canvas proper.


Part of the reason why I want to include this Cowboy (working title) in Pop Culture Palimpsest is on the larger piece, Quest(Shun), I pushed this same shape towards the conquistador/Don Quixote interpretation.  If I reuse the same shape in a more 'Wild West/Cowboy' theme/motif, that expands how both pieces can be interpreted/contemplated.


A little bit of line work.  This drawing is from one of my treasure trove of matchbook covers.  For you hardcore insomniacs, I've included a link to a previous post that show the pile of matchbooks.  You can check it out by clicking HERE.



Now with some color added.




Here's what the first layer looks like.  Remember the part along the right hand side that says 'space walk'.  It will come up again later in this post.


I comb through my sketch books in order to cultivate ideas for my second layer.


Like this!


Time to dive into the line work.




Did you remember the 'space walk' part like I asked you to?  C'mon, that was just six images ago...

Anyway, if you notice on this next image the 'space walk' part (which I really liked incidentally) is now obscured by my Amoco sign.  That is just an occupational hazard for how I work.  Sometimes, the bits I really like get almost completely obliterated by the completion of the piece. To console myself, I added just a hint of a new partial 'space walk' running perpendicular to the old one.


Now for some color.




See?  'Space Walk' is totally obscured.  All I get for my troubles is 'Spa'.





The painting is basically complete (I think).  Now on to the frame...


Pop Culture Palimpsest opens in less than 3 weeks at The Figge Art Museum.  Eeeeek!

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Naughty Time: Part II

When we last left Naughty it was getting hazed over.  A few weeks have passed, and now it's time to dive back in to the canvas.


Before I get into the line work for the second layer, I want to add (adhere) the cameo of Lord Fenton Percival Philpotts Pennymoore and the insert for Stately Pennymoore Manor.  I wrap both bases with some of this leftover billboard material that I have been holding onto for years (and by years I mean around 19 years).  Not only does it provide a nice base color/texture, but it also establishes a relationship between the cameo (Lord Fenton Percival Philpotts Pennymoore) and the Stately Pennymoore Manor.  Love those Ben-Day Dots!


I apply a big ole glob of adhesive caulk to adhere these insert panels to the surface of the canvas....


...like that....


...and that.


Now that those are attached, I can move on to the line work.  I wanted the inserts in place at this stage of the process so I have a better ability to visualize what is going on with the canvas/composition.

Then I get down to the line work...







Once the line work has had about a week to dry, it's time to add the color(s).  I mix together a batch of 8 colors for the canvas.  I will reuse many/most of them for the carved frame that goes with Naughty.















I still have a few areas of line work to add (details primarily) and to paint the relief areas something in addition to the base color I laid down many moons ago.


We'll deal with the frame in a future post, but next time we'll take a look at what is going on with Eclipse.