Sunday, May 20, 2012

Reinforcements for Twinkie!

It's not been all trendy buttons and rope swings in the studio (more on that in the next post!).  In addition to pushing several pieces further to completion, I have started not one, but two new sculptures for Merican-Tastic!  My unofficial goal is to have 5 figures/sculptures for the show, but three is the minimum needed to make Twinkie not look like an afterthought.

They are just at their most basic 'skeletal' stage, but the basic shapes and proportions are already laid out.

Here are three images of what will become Captain Cupcake!




....and here are four shots of the start of Mister Peanut.  I am going to have to be exceedingly careful with this one, it barely fits through the door of my studio as is.  If he gets any 'fuller' I may have to move Merican-Tastic! to my studio.





It is difficult to get a sense of the space created within Mister Peanut right now.  Once it has a 'skin' put on it, an intriguing inner space will be formed that contrasts nicely with the outer portion.  The construction method for both sculptures will be nearly identical to how I built Twinkie the Kid.

Yesterday's studio session was all about painting.  I sat in my beat-up office chair for 10 sweaty hours either laying down the line work, or painting sections of 3 different pieces.  Here is some further progress on Squishy Rumba!



Next time we are going on a road trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment