Sunday, September 3, 2017

The Application of Some Fancy Book-Learning

A quicky.

Two separate 'starts' of pieces that are currently intersecting on one canvas.  One is (tentatively) called Kyklopes and the other 'start' that involves a reference to a Greek Chorus doesn't even have a tentative title yet.  I picked up these little nuggets of knowledge over 20 years ago in Introduction to Literature and Theater Appreciation.  Time to apply that fancy book-learning!

Here's a few shots from the process of pushing these pieces forward.

Once I've figured out a layout/composition for my fabric-wrapped shapes, I attach them to a canvas (hopefully the canvas, but lately I've been using old canvases as sort of staging areas for future ideas/projects), and then prime them with several coats of paint.


I am building up the arena/amphitheater one shape at a time.



Everything in secured in place awaiting to be painted after the adhesive sets.


The layout for Kyklopes before I attach it to canvas.




A reused mouth piece from a mask I made over 17 years ago.


For the time being, I have attached them both to a canvas as kind of a staging area to be incorporated into future pieces (or maybe just one piece?).  As an added bonus, the old canvas I am reusing has the texture of a maze on it from an earlier incarnation.  Although Kyklopes and the Minotaur are from two different Greek tales, their juxtaposition reinforces a general ancient Greek feel to the piece.  I am not sure how much, if any, of the maze fragments will make an appearance in the final pieces, but hopefully a little will survive.





More on both of these pieces in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment