Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The First Little Bit For The Crown Sign

So a couple of my pieces that were in Pop Culture Palimpsest made reference to the idea of the silhouette of an abandoned/unused roadside sign back lit by a light source.  I want to explore that further in what I am currently calling The Crown Sign.  The shape of the sign is based off of a  physical sign I made a few years ago (which, in turn, was based off of an actual roadside sign).

Here is my physical sign from a few years back.  It was created for an installation that has yet to materialize.


Laying down some base colors on the canvas.




Adding black to make the sign a dark silhouette.


Now for the first layer of line work/imagery.











A close up shot showing the texture on the rings.


Here is what I have so far.


Before I can even pretend to complete the first layer of line work, I will need to add color in a few areas before I start to paint in some bricks and the lane markers and cars.  I used to paint around that stuff.  Now that I am older and slightly wiser, I just lay down the pavement (background) first...

On to the next abuse studio project...

No comments:

Post a Comment