Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Roadside Attraction. Mile Marker #148: The Road Out Of Town

 Back in March I was working on a series of ceramic pieces that I abruptly had to walk away from because of the lock down/quarantine.  I was unsure if/when I'd ever get back to work on them.  The building in which they were stashed was due for some maintenance, so their survival was not guaranteed.  So basically, I had to write them off as lost and forget about them.  I had a lot of time and energy invested in them, but if they were gone for good, dwelling on that would have reduced my ability to focus on projects I could work on.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I was told they were still intact and I was given a limited window of access to finish them up and get them transported to my studio.  Just like that, I put the brakes on what I was working on and spent several days glazing and firing these pieces so I could get them back into my fiefdom.

I documented them as soon as I got them into my studio.  These images don't have anything that resembles flattering lighting, and obviously I need to repaint my studio wall a solid black again to get rid of all of the paint drips.

Two piece fragments being united to form one piece.









When the dust settles, I will have about 20 pieces to add to my oeuvre.  Several of them as small freestanding sculptures, and a not-insignificant number will be displayed in wooden boxes (with and without accompanying carved panels.

This is just the beginning... 

No comments:

Post a Comment