Thursday, August 10, 2023

The Finishing Touches For Captain Galactikka In The Third Dimension

 

Back in 2018 I made a piece called Collectors' Issue (click here to read the Earlier Post) for my show Pop Culture Palimpsest at The Figge Art Museum.  The main character in Collectors' Issue is Captain Galactikka.


Not long after the show closed, I decided to make a physical Captain Galactikka sculpture to join my growing pantheon of pop culture product mascots. Here he is at the spray foam, chicken wire, and plywood stage.  I'm just trying to get the basic shape at this point.


Then I crisscross the body with duct tape so I have anchor points for the layers of fabric I am going to hot glue into place to form the 'shell' of the piece.



Captain Galactikka and Lil Seezer side-by-side in the studio.


After several layers of fabric and paint, the outer coating is in place.  The spray foam is strong enough to form an acceptably solid inside structure, but if I covered the piece with a brittle coating, the foam has the potential to give just enough so the outside would crack.


Now to make the details out of cardboard, wrap them in fabric, and attach them to the sculpture as well.





Mouth and nose are in place.




Starting to get the details added and primed into place.

Then I add some more...



The base is comprised of a whole bunch of laminated plywood and Bondo...


This Captain Galactikka at the tale end of our time in the old studio.  I would frequently hang my winter jacket on his extended pointer finger when I arrived at the studio in the morning...


A sculpture that is so muy macho it took TWO STUDIOS and ONE SHOP to finish!  Anyway, here we are in the new space and it is time to cover the sculpture with several coats of iron metallic surfacer and then hit it with a rusting compound.  Instead of trying to make a rust-colored paint, you actually produce rust.


Letting things 'air out' before spraying another coat...




You can see the rust start to appear...






The captain is ready to go off to be part of Citizen Beige!


No comments:

Post a Comment