Sunday, January 12, 2014

Grab Bag Of Progress: Part II -The Home Stretch

Ill-Suited For The Pleasantries opens really soon.  A lot must be done between now and then.

Checking in on the progress with Arena.....



A couple close-up shots of the surface texture.



Although Arena is close to 'done', there are still some key decisions regarding 'the sign' that remain undecided.


Extremely late in the game, I got an idea for finishing the 'sign' (on the right hand side of the canvas).  Unfortunately, I already hit it with some fresh oil paint, and I have to wait a few days until it dries before I can add the changes,  -So it is going to be down to the last minute to get the change completed in time for the show.  It might not happen.


The linework on the first layer of Hemisphere is complete.  I doubt it will be done in time for the show.


On to the line work for The Promised Land (of Sky Blue Waters)....


Now with a little extra attention to the raised figure/target/quote bubble complex.


To provide a frame of reference for how long it takes me to make an image like this, it took me 8 1/2 hours of painting to add the whites and greens for this next layer of color.


The Promised Land (of Sky Blue Waters) has given me an unexpected surprise.  For the original 'plan', I wanted to add a few layers of imagery, but ultimately return the canvas to a visual state nearer to the image below.  The logo, raised silhouette, quote bubble, and target, being the area of primary focus.  However, I (currently) prefer the image above where those raised areas actually become subservient to the overall mayhem of the image.  So, The Promised Land (of Sky Blue Waters) is going into Ill-Suited For The Pleasantries in its current state.  After living with it and looking at it for a month, I will decide if I want to do anything else to it.


Stuntman still needs to be painted......


This next piece is called The Persistence of Nougat.


Time to add the color.



All I have to do is haze this most recent layer of imagery and The Persistence of Nougat will be ready for the show.

Ill-Suited For The Pleasantries opens Monday, January 13th 2014.  The opening reception will be Thursday, January 24th, from 4-6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment