Friday, March 30, 2018

Spaghetti No. 3 (The First Installment)

Another piece I'm working on for Pop Culture Palimpsest is currently being called Spaghetti No. 3.  Since there is an excellent Italian restaurant directly below my studio, I'm 99.99% sure the title came from the label on the side of a box of pasta I saw.  That .01% of me thinks I could be mis-remembering that incident.  Either way, I saw a note in my sketch book for the title/idea 'Spaghetti No. 3', so I'm going with that for the time being.

The central disc/halo/mandala was one of the pieces I shipped down to Suriname back in 2015.  It is finding new life in Spaghetti No. 3. (You can see some of its early stages by checking out these two posts regarding The Suriname Adventure (FIRST POST and SECOND POST)).  The base canvas is also finding a new life -at one point it housed a piece from my Dialog Series.  I'm pretty sure it was the bag of fries piece.


Now it is reborn as Spaghetti No. 3.




Once the figure is in place, I add the carved wooden letters along the bottom.





This sketch is from one of my matchbooks I snagged awhile back.


I threw in the image of the sketch to show how sometimes what is happening on/with the canvas/composition necessitates modifying the original image.  Between the seam running down the side of the canvas and the fact that I didn't want the arch/oval to take up any more space in the composition, I sliced of the right hand side of the oval and pushed the 'Orders To Take Out' text outside of the original composition.



A couple more shots of the line work.








Next time Spaghetti No. 3 get some color.

No comments:

Post a Comment