Monday, February 18, 2019

Kosmonaut [sic] -The Beginning(s)

I've decided to build a cosmonaut (or at least the helmet/face of a cosmonaut).

I start forming the helmet by using some left over portions of another project.  In fact, these scraps came from one of the 'amphitheater sections' in Processionalization: Power Lunch With The Tasaday.  Once I find a way to fuse the two scraps together, I add a communicator box towards the bottom.

Now I need to start making the actual cosmonaut figure.  I start with a paper cutout since I'm going to be making the face from two pieces of wood (it won't just be a straight forward 'carve it and go' kind of endeavor -things have to fit with other things...).

The two sections on paper... wooden section (before carving/cutting)...

...and the two sections side-by-side.

Once everything has been carved, cut out, and adhered into place.

Now with a little bit of paint added to seal the carved wood.

Time to add some carved letters (and maybe some arrows as well).  I'm starting to see the possibility that this piece might join a larger piece.

Time to go bring that 'larger piece' on line...

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Oh Snap! The Cold Snap.

Recently we had a two-day cold snap.  By cold snap, I mean we set a new all-time cold record at -33 Fahrenheit (that's -36.11 degrees in Celsius).  Not a great time to be out and about.

With that in mind, I hunkered down in the studio for a few days and tackled some projects.  Obviously I secured some provisions first...

In addition to some wonderful naps, here are a few images of some of my other endeavors.

I added the first layer of imagery to the unimaginatively named piece, Bottles...

Not wanting to stand out in the crowd (name-wise), Matches also received some attention.

I have also been playing around with the idea of making some multiple panel pieces (diptychs (2), triptychs (3), and polyptychs (4+)).  I decided the time was right to start exploring what that was going to look like.  I give you Head With Dialog Bubble (also a real winner of a title...).

Since Head With Dialog Bubble is going to be attached to Temple Of Zeus, I wanted to (partially) extend the dialog bubble over to the next canvas.  Here are the process of creating a partial dialog bubble.

I cut out the shape.

Out of old painted/primed canvas, I trace and cut of a front face to the shape.

I test it to make sure everything fits the way I want it to.

Then I wrap the cardboard in fabric and attach the old canvas to the front face to give it a nicer/smoother surface.

Testing how they look together.

Not to shabby.  All said and done, I think this is going to become a triptych, so I will need to develop a third panel sometime in the near future.

While I had the scissors and cardboard out, I created a separate dialog bubble for some future (currently unknown) project.

My crowning achievement in lackluster titles might be Dude Looking Up.  This is select portions of two older projects brought together.

My younger self would be underwhelmed at my adult drinking prowess, after two days in the studio, I still have three soldiers left for a future fight.

Anyway, that was two days in the studio.