Sunday, November 29, 2020

Acrobat -A New Beginning

A few months ago, I started 3 smaller pieces all on the same day.  Their respective working titles are Acrobat, Thoroughfare, and Fishy.

Let's start by taking a look at Acrobat.  Like I do with most of my pieces, I jump-started my image-making process by just laying down some shapes and colors.  I'll build up from there.

After that first coat of color(s) had dried, I added a second one in order to punch-up the contrast within the piece.  I'm not married to any of these marks yet, so they can be easily painted over and not missed.

Time to go in with some lines.  The lines really help to provide definition between shapes and color masses.

Speaking of color, how about I add some to the sign?

This first layer is starting to come together.  However, I think I need to add some more line work before I can consider this layer complete.  Next time we check in with Acrobat we'll take a look at those additions.

Saturday, November 28, 2020

The Ballad of Big Cheese Monkeynuts: Vol. I

So here are the beginnings of Big Cheese Monkeynuts...

Needs just a little more line work in the upper right hand corner...(?)

So let's finish the line work and let this piece dry for a bit.

Here it is with all of the base elements in place.

Before I wrap this post up, let's see what we've got with the introduction of color(s).

Next time we take a look at Big Cheese Monkey Nuts I'll be starting the second layer.

Friday, November 27, 2020

Sloganize: Vol. I: The Only Volume You'll Ever Need...

Sloganize.  How did we get to here?...

...from here?

Like several of my pieces, Sloganize started by laying down some shapes (fabric-wrapped cardboard to be precise) on canvas and riffing off of what was there.  The original shape had both the negative shapes of a thought cloud bubble, and the head silhouette of Frankenberry.  Since I had the head shape, shortly after I added the negative shape of the body to help strengthen the idea of a figure.

Sloganize is a word I bat around from time to time, and it seemed appropriate given the source inspiration material for the head.

With the base colors in place, I added some more color complexity.

Dried and ready for some line work.

Normally here is when I would show several images of just the line work. However, it's highly possible that I was so excited to add colors to the first layer of line work, that I forgot to document just the line work.  I apologize for this slight breech of etiquette...

A few more colors to finish of this first layer.

Sloganzie is gonna sit around for a few days (weeks?) so I can live with it and see what it might need (visually) to go further.  That being said, this is one of the rare instances in which I am quite satisfied with how the piece has turned out, so there is a good chance that this might be its final iteration.

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Roadside Attraction. Mile Marker #148: The Road Out Of Town

 Back in March I was working on a series of ceramic pieces that I abruptly had to walk away from because of the lock down/quarantine.  I was unsure if/when I'd ever get back to work on them.  The building in which they were stashed was due for some maintenance, so their survival was not guaranteed.  So basically, I had to write them off as lost and forget about them.  I had a lot of time and energy invested in them, but if they were gone for good, dwelling on that would have reduced my ability to focus on projects I could work on.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I was told they were still intact and I was given a limited window of access to finish them up and get them transported to my studio.  Just like that, I put the brakes on what I was working on and spent several days glazing and firing these pieces so I could get them back into my fiefdom.

I documented them as soon as I got them into my studio.  These images don't have anything that resembles flattering lighting, and obviously I need to repaint my studio wall a solid black again to get rid of all of the paint drips.

Two piece fragments being united to form one piece.

When the dust settles, I will have about 20 pieces to add to my oeuvre.  Several of them as small freestanding sculptures, and a not-insignificant number will be displayed in wooden boxes (with and without accompanying carved panels.

This is just the beginning... 

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

More Colors For Detour Crossroads

The second and third passes of color(s) for the first layer of Detour Crossroads.

I let this dry for several weeks while I worked on other pieces.  When I came back to it, I hit it with a couple warm tones (a peach and a dull-red color).

Here we go!

Here's where it stands right now.  Unsure what, if any, more layers I will add to Detour Crossroads.  It's gonna have to sit around and be stared at for a while.