Sunday, April 12, 2020

More Progress With The Brain Jar of Dr. Pantalones.

Slipping in a few more colors on the first layer of imagery for The Brain Jar of Dr. Pantalones...

A dull orange color.

And a purple color as well.

Before bubbles...

After bubbles!!!

And a couple more colors to finish off the layer.

I'm going to let this one hang out for a while and see how I like it.  I think it might be done...

Next time we'll take a peek at the second layer of imagery for Two-Part Harmony...

Friday, April 10, 2020

Bringing The Rust Sign To Completion

Just a couple more colors to add to The Rust Sign and then I think it will be finished.

Ready for that last little push.

Other than the yellow I added, everything else is subdued and barely changes the visual feel of the piece.

The yellow adds some focal points to move your eye around the composition.

Stay tuned for more studio mayhem...

Monday, April 6, 2020

Elude No. 2

A little forward progress on the piece currently known as Elude.

Final push on color.

Now for a proper hazing...

On to the next layer of imagery!  I've got a cool blue and and greenish yellow ochre which are going to lead the way for colors.  I think I may just add a light gray and a darker gray and just make this second layer of imagery be only 4 colors.  That's the plan anyway...

Time for the last few colors to finish up the second layer of imagery.  I'm still thinking just a light gray and a darker gray.  We'll see.

Now all that is left to paint is the central figure and the carved letter blocks...

I'm thinking blue and maybe a pinkish red.

This is what it looks like when everything is in place.

Hopefully next time we can take a look at the finishing touches to The Rust Sign.  No promises.

Thursday, April 2, 2020

A Grab Bag of Progress: Vol. XIV

In no particular order, and with minimal explanation, here are some shots of various projects I have percolating in the studio.

Just laying down some base colors and establishing some early directional movements in the composition base layer.

Add a few more colors and drips (which help to set up some movement...).

Another underwhelming 'start'...

Add a few more colors, and all of a sudden there is some tension between the two warmer color masses (supported by a dull and comparatively cool background)

High Dive!

I've started a couple of canvases with some cut out shapes.

As this one started to come together, I realized that I might have an opportunity to include a mask that has been sitting around in my studio for years.  I ripped it off of a much older canvas/piece/composition a long time ago.  So I wanted to test it out at the top of the 'sign' element...

...unfortunately it was visually too heavy up there, so it had to go.  I am currently trying it out on other pieces.

This one might work...


And I'll close with some images of that tower/sign composition I am trying to bring together.

More to come!