Saturday, February 16, 2013

They Grow Up So Fast and a Happy Rah-Rah Anniversary!

I recently got the privilege to spend some time with a couple of my former students from a 3-D Design class I taught back in 2007.

This past Friday was the grand opening for Meghan Hollister and Glorie Iaccarino's Gallery, -ZOLA.  Here is a shot from the opening reception of Meghan looking happy, confident and a wee bit sassy.  Here is a link to Meghan's [starpower]* blog which covers some of the cultural happenings in the Quad City area and has radically better descriptions and images of ZOLA then I can provide, so check it out HERE!


A quick, yet miraculously not blurry, overhead shot.


Glorie and Meghan posing for a quick publicity pic.


One of Megahn's pen and ink drawings behind her skillfully cropped face.  She also does a bunch of intricate paper cut collage pieces and some cool video animation work.  You can (and should) explore her work for yourself on her blog of her own personal work (check it out here!).


The Friday prior, another former student, Matt Sanchez, and I got together at Boozies so we could chat and then go to Meghan's opening at ZOLA.  It turned out we were a week early, so there was no opening to attend, but a Boozie Burger was consumed, so it all worked out in the end.  This is a repeat image from an earlier post, but it's the only image I have of Matt.


Matt is wearing the yellow shirt and peeking out over Kris Eiterheim's shoulder.  If you don't know who Kris Eiterheim is, he's the guy in the blue shirt who likes to stand in front of guys in yellow shirts.  Matt recently started a new job at MindFire Communications and was possibly the fifth happiest I have ever seen him (the top four instances of joy, in no particular order, are: a) whenever he talks about Ashley, b) whenever he talks about Brody, c) whenever he talks about art/design, and d) whenever he gets to talk to me.....).  He loves what he does and speaks glowingly of the cool, fun, crazy, creative energy/attitudes of his co-workers.  How often does that happen in this world?  Magic Eight Ball says: 'Rarely'....

I am phenomenally proud of both Meghan's and Matt's efforts, aggressive & optimistic attitudes, and their accomplishments.

On a totally unrelated note, earlier this month marked the one-year *anniversary of Punching Holes In The Rah-Rah (*to all friends and family members whose birthdays and other special occasions I chronically miss, -I even forget my own stuff).  The only appropriate way to celebrate such a momentous occasion is to make a flight of stairs out of cardboard, fabric, and foam.


After drawing out the desired stair configuration, I start cutting out the arches.


...followed by cutting out the steps (and then repeating the process on a second sheet of cardboard so I have a 'left' and 'right' side to the staircase).



I cut several 'spacer strips' to insure even spacing between the left and right walls of the staircase.  The strips will form the arches and the steps ('risers' and 'treads' if you wish to be technical).


I bent the cardboard to form the arches and held the strips in place with duct tape.


So now I have to parallel walls held together with the arches.



Now it's time to add steps.




Step One: Add riser.
Step Two: Add tread.
Step Three: Repeat steps one and two until complete.




After a few hours everything was in place and fairly sturdy.


Ultimately I want to fill the inside with spray foam to dramatically increase the staircases stability.  But first, I want to cover the exterior with fabric and then a couple coats of paint to insure that the expanding spray foam doesn't burst through the stairs in unexpected ways/places.


The first coat of 'primer' is a brown color.  The second coat will be gray.  I use different colors on each coat so I can see where I have been and where I still need to paint.



The stairs after the first coat of paint.



I'll save you the gritty action of a second coat of paint and merely point out that the steps are now gray and not brown.  I built a base out of sticks that will fit into the base of the staits.  The sticks go directly into the spray foam while it is still wet and expanding (and mindbogglingly sticky).  This insures that not only will the foam will flow around the sticks and hold them into place, but it will also hold all of the other components in place as well.



I still have some more fabric to add (in order to more eloquently transition from the sticks into the arches) and some ceramic bricks to adhere to the sides for some detail flourishes, but we'll cover that in a later post.



No comments:

Post a Comment