Monday, March 14, 2016

Carving and Paddles: Vol II

The pieces I am creating for North On 71 are going to require ceramic debris strewn around their bases.  With my stockpile of ceramic debris and carved paddles safely in storage 300 miles away, I am faced with a decision.  Drive 600 miles round-trip to retrieve my stuff or carve a whole new batch of paddles and create a new batch of debris?  Obviously, the most obnoxious thing to do would be carve a bunch of paddles and create more detritus.

Here's an image of 'my debris' from and earlier show entitled Artifice, Artifact, and Allegory at the Quad City Arts Gallery in the Quad Cities International Airport.


I have tried to devote at least a couple hours per week to sketching and gathering images/ideas for future pieces.  The future is now.  Time to plunder the sketch books.......


Once I pick out a few drawings/doodles that catch my eye, I draw them on to a slab of wood and then 'color' them in with a black marker.




Let the carving begin.....


















After everything has been carved I cut apart the boards and add handles so I can deliver the proper force whilst delivering a carved-paddle spanking.

Now to make some debris......




Time for a date with the kiln.......






Stay tuned for more on North On 71!

No comments:

Post a Comment