Thursday, September 8, 2022

Relics of The Republic: Disharmony in Two Parts and Broken Arch Number 3

 House cleaning.

Sometimes your backlog of bisqueware becomes too numerous to ignore and it becomes time to glaze.  I'm not a fan of the glazing process.  It lacks the immediacy that I look for when making work.  For anyone who has read a few posts here over the years could easily call me out on how time-consuming the rest of my process seems to be.  The difference is that if I paint a swath of red across a canvas or build something out of cardboard and fabric, it is what it is.  I see what it's going to be in relation to everything else.  Glazes that have been fired to temperature look nothing like what they do coming straight out of the glaze bucket. 



I'm not a fan of the glazing process.  It lacks the immediacy that I look for when making work.  For anyone who has read a few posts here over the years could easily call me out on how time-consuming the rest of my process seems to be.  The difference is that if I paint a swath of red across a canvas or build something out of cardboard and fabric, it is what it is.  I see what it's going to be in relation to everything else.  Glazes that have been fired to temperature look nothing like what they do coming straight out of the glaze bucket.

I have included a couple of examples of glazed and glazed-fired pieces to show the marked difference between the two stages.


This is what the same piece looks like after being fired up to 2232 degrees Fahrenheit.




This is the right after I applied the glaze, but before I fired it.


The same piece after being fired.



The time delay between glaze application and finished results are at least 24 hours, if not weeks (depending on my firing schedule).

Ugh. Anyway, let's take a look at a few pieces that have gone through the whole process: Disharmony in Two Parts and Broken Arch Number 3.





Now while I'm not a fan of the glaze application process, I do like finished glaze results.  Especially, when the different glazes pool, flow, and showcase textures.


Broken Arch Number 3.








Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment