Friday, August 11, 2023

Making Some New Bases For Citizen Beige

 Sometimes hanging on to materials/things pays big dividends.  Other times your studio is choked with junk and you become a hoarder -a thin line divides the two, really...

Back in 2015 The Figge Art Museum celebrated it's 10-year anniversary.  The museum put out a call-for-proposals for some kind of celebratory sculpture thingy.  They accepted Terry Rathje's proposal of making a multi-chamber beehive-like installation out in the Bechtel Plaza.  Here are three FOUR links to the fabrication process back in 2015: Link #1Link #2Link #3Link #4

Terry's collaborative piece is called allinitogetherTerry Rathje, Dean Kugler, and I contributed chambers/cells to the final structure.  Here is a scissor lift view down into the beehive.  It's also been a hot minute since I provided a link to Terry's website, so here it is: https://www.terryrathje.com/.  Some serious cool stuff for you to see!

After allinitogether came down, I sawed my panels into smaller sections and held on to them for use at a later date....




That later date would be 2023 when I decided I wanted to make some bases for my ceramic sculptures that were going to be part of Citizen Beige.  In my studio world, 8 years is a comparatively brief time to hang on to something before re-purposing it.

A little time with a table saw and a pneumatic nail gun, and Presto! I have a bunch of boxes.

A bunch of boxes that needed a bunch of caulk and several coats of paint to help unify their texture with the aesthetic of the rest of my work.

So during the hottest part of of the summer of 2023, we were outside painting boxes.






Yes, we did paint the raised areas black BEFORE we painted them all white.  You know, like ya do.




Here's what the finished product looked like in Aurora Public Art.







More to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment