Saturday, December 12, 2020

Roadside Attraction #471: Lonesome Beacon.

I had a lot of fun making Lonesome Beacon.  This is one of a few pieces in the series where you can see some of my drawing/doodles in the 'billboard' part of the piece.




Some drawn elements.



I've only included this next image because I was impressed that my little point-and-shoot camera actually focused on the wall through the gap between the two ceramic pillars.


I adjusted my angle ever so slightly so the camera would focus on the surface this time.


Even as thick as I had applied the Frosty Crystal glaze on other pieces, I found that thicker is even better if you want a good crawl/run.  I 'stained' the clay before with a wash of Brick Red (which I mostly wiped off).  I suspect that there was enough of the Brick Red under The Frosty Crystal that it made the Frosty Crystal flow more than crawl.  Regardless of what is at play here, I love the effect.


I especially like when the Frosty Crystal runs into the St. John's Black (also a crawl glaze).

Gonna have to 'tame' the dark lines of the background carving by repainting the inside of the box.


A couple detail shots...




Next time we'll take a look at #84 Observation Tower Panorama...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment